CRETIN: /kret'in/, /kree'tn/, n.
Congenital loser; an obnoxious person; someone who can't do anything right

CONCRETIN: /kahn'kret'in/, /kahn'kree'tn/, n.
Cretin who loves to skate concrete

Monday, June 04, 2007

On the road...

Alice and I spent 2.5 hours on the road Friday night, another 3 Saturday morning, and 7 hours on Sunday. Yea, I'm tired of cars and driving. However, in between the treks, we delivered the CretinCart to the inlaws, visited a sis and niece, went to a horse show, AND I got to skate Woodland Park in Portage again. Despite the road miles, a fun weekend.

The horse show was a small local affair (our niece rides) and a bit boring, she warned us. But have you ever seen a "draft horse" up close and personal? They are MASSIVE. Imagine a horse with a hoof the size of your head, and could stand in the 8' bowl and still look down at the coping. Very impressive indeed. While her horse was much smaller, it still looked down upon me - for many different reasons I'm sure, being a lowly biped for instance. (shuddup Dave)

The inlaws were excited about the golf cart, but not as stoked as I to finally get it there where it will get some use. I've been so tired of watching it collect dust and squirrel footprints in the back yard. Hey, and I might actually get to ride it at family gatherings. Assuming I can tear it away from the grandkids.

Woodland park was a blast. Finally being able to roll-in, grind (fs even), and otherwise stay on my board made the mini so much more fun. Long lines weren't taxing until it really started getting hot. The flatbar in the street gave me some trouble, but after 7 tries, I pulled the smoothest rail slide ever. A nice melon over the bank hip and a kf high on the big bank (first try!) left me feeling good about my session. I also got THE question! Kids were quite surprised to see an old dude skating relatively well, on such a huge board. And they thought my trucks were way too loose! I found that funny as I think they're tight. They were ripping that mini, with some funky blunt -switch yer feet-fakie thing, and supa tech tail-stall-shove-it-tail-stalls. I think the fact that I wasn't full of shit when I said I could do a double kickflip on their board easily, and did so perfectly first try, surprised them the most, and my favorite moment. Of course, I was having too much fun to actually take pictures or video even though I lugged the gear with. Sorry.

As I was de-padding, it started to POUR. No warning at all, hell, it was still sunny! Already soaked, I took my time and headed across the street to Woodland Skates to pay a visit to shop owner Jason. Checked out the "old school" stash once again, but decided against buying another board I'd second guess skating (like my RayBarbee). If ya need some gear in "the Region," go talk to Jason. (Woodland Skates, 2155 Willowcreek Road, Portage - 219.762.6434) He's laid back and will talk old school, new school, and even long boarding with ya. I try to spread my all too thin skate dollars around to 'core skater owned shops, and he is obviously passionate about skating. Yes, of course I brought home some new wood, but you'll just have to wait to see it. "NOS," New Old School. Not 'til I kill the Cab though.

So that's what I did all weekend. What did you do? If it was just Lurkin' and Jerkin', please don't tell us. I really don't want to know.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:56 PM, Blogger gimpinainteasy said…

    Worked all weekend. Ran 8 miles Sunday night.

    Packing the board up tomorrow for a trip to KONA with my bro.

    Yeeeeaaaahhhhh...

    Skate with you all when I get back.

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Blogger NoShow said…

    Well, unlike any other Concretin this weekend ('cept for Travio), I skated at the park this weekend :P Will and I even showed up all decked out in green for ya, Nikoli!

    I hit some slash grinds in the six next to the hip, stood up more on my grind in the capsule to slowly graduate from slash to 50/50, and worked on my skillz on the wood (yeah, shuddup Dave :D ) after picking out the shattered glass that the dumb@ss kids left.

     
  • At 9:15 PM, Blogger OMP said…

    Bought a big freaking Jacuzzi for the new house!

    They've started framing. They're through with the basement and are starting on the upstairs!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home