CRETIN: /kret'in/, /kree'tn/, n.
Congenital loser; an obnoxious person; someone who can't do anything right

CONCRETIN: /kahn'kret'in/, /kahn'kree'tn/, n.
Cretin who loves to skate concrete

Thursday, July 06, 2006

FutureGnar: McCall, Idaho

I can tell by looking at the current state that the design has evolved subatantially from initial plans. The original idea had no Idaho Bowl - the only thing completed so far. Nor does it show a left kidney in which is obvious from the forms in place. A Local Grom claims this will have pool coping. I sure hope it does. The rest of the construction looks bad-ass and I look forward to future in-law visits because of it.

Other claims by The Grom: a) the completed bowl is the shape of Idaho - believable when looking at it; b) the park was designed by Tony Hawk - possibly, but doutful (it may have been a recipient of a grant from the Tony Hawk Foundation. One web search made such claims.); and c) will be one of the top 10 parks in the country - maybe, but it will definitely be awesome

The completed bowl - potato-state shape that it may be - is so smooth and fast, you can carve all day - if your lungs are adjusted to 5,000 feet elevation, your legs are ready to pump, and your cajones are set for lots of vert!
What would be the southern border is rectangualer made of two large square-ish bowls. One roughly six foot that drops to an 8 - 9 foot area. The connection between these has an extension that pumps it up to around 11 feet. Like the state of Idaho, it gets thinner as you head North, up the West side. It trims to a sweet 5 foot mini, then limbs into to about a 3 foot capsule - which I have yet to figure out how to carve. Just dropping in a capsule this small and shallow is hard (for me). Fortunately the capsule can easily be left off of any line you can muster. The tranny is perfect thoughout and the taller sections have enough vert to make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

Here's one of the reasons this bowl is awesome, and I believe the park will ultimately be so gnarly - it is being built by skaters.


I barged the bowl the first two days I was here. The grom said it was cool with the construction crew. The third day the construction guys were actually there, so I felt obligated to ask. The first guy I spoke with took one look at my Concretins shirt and said, "you from Louisville? I skated that park. I love the full-pipe!" I felt all warm inside as I dropped in with the blessings of the work crew.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger gimpinainteasy said…

    That bowl is totally SNARLY and GROWLY!!

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger OMP said…

    The cool part for me was that the construction crew was giving props to your home turf! That rocks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home