CRETIN: /kret'in/, /kree'tn/, n.
Congenital loser; an obnoxious person; someone who can't do anything right

CONCRETIN: /kahn'kret'in/, /kahn'kree'tn/, n.
Cretin who loves to skate concrete

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Vacation Rocks! Eagle, ID Skatepark Sucks!

Our second flight from Minneapolis to Boise was delayed an hour, but was of little consequence. I woke up Monday on EDT and headed straight for the new Eagle, ID concrete skatepark.. I got close, but had to place an emergency phone call to Nick who guided me the rest of the way via cellular telephonic communication using web directions. You Rock, Nick!! Too bad the park didn't. It looks awesome as you can see, but the nicest thing I can say about this park it that the bathrooms were clean enough that I actually sat my ass on the seat to take a dump - something I have attempted in a public restroom approximately 1.3 other times in my entire 39 years on the planet.

The lack of coping was odd, but it didn't matter cuz you cain't get to the top of the walls, which are short by most standards (about 5' max), thanks to a transition that has about a one foot radius that stops all forward momentum. The finish is similar to gravel. This park was clearly built by morons who have never seen a skatepark, never ridden a skateboard, and never worked with concrete. Definitely NOT worth the trip.

The second best thing about this park is the single piece of graffiti I saw:
The original sign said "Helmets Required, something Prohibited." I laughed when I saw the Emo Kids scrawled into the sign - complete with crying face for the 'O' in Emo - making the sign read 'Emo Kids Prohibited.' A great rule for all public and private places alike.

I left bummed and went to take some photos/cop a quick ride at McMillan Skatepark about 15 minutes away. The ramps are great and the trannies are perfect. This park would be a whole lot of fun to hit with the crew and without a little kid sitting in the car screaming "can we go now, Dad?!" every three or four breaths.

So, Eagle sucked. And I was left holding a 45lb bag of skateboards, pads, and clothes thinking I might no get to skate again this trip. The bag was a father's day present. It's awesome and holds a huge amount of clothes and gear (mine + Gibby's - aka Kidzilla). But, Damn! I hate to haul it only to use it once. But, good fotune smiles on Skidzilla: the park in McCall (where we are staying till Saturday) has a completed bowl that TOTALLY smokes. The construction guys let you skate it while they attempt to complete the rest. See below for initial photos. Tune in tomorrow for a complete report.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home