CRETIN: /kret'in/, /kree'tn/, n.
Congenital loser; an obnoxious person; someone who can't do anything right

CONCRETIN: /kahn'kret'in/, /kahn'kree'tn/, n.
Cretin who loves to skate concrete

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Charleston Hates Skaters

I took a trip down to the Isle of Palms, SC last week with the fam for a little chillin' and relaxin' - chillaxation, if you will - and thought I'd hit a few skate parks while I was there. I fired up ye ol' Interweb for some skate park info but was dismayed by the lack of current stats on the parks in the area. I saw "The Park" on ConcreteDisciples.com, "The Courtyard" at the Carolina Ice Palace, and a few dinky skate parks attached to public parks. I also came across this little number...

Charleston Cop Pushes Skateboarder

I scoped out some spots on the way through town and saw plenty of "No Skateboarding" signs posted. Hmm, it looks like Charleston as a whole doesn't like skaters. We also passed the Fairmont Skate Shop while travelling through Mount Pleasant and decided to hit that place up for info before setting out to find the parks I had researched. Lusy and I packed our gear and headed toward the shop.

The Fairmont Skate Shop was pretty well stocked. Lusy picked out a sweet belt (sweet because it was bright yellow and on sale) and I picked up a hoodie (on sale as well) and a skate video. I started talking with the skate shop owner, Shane, and I asked him about the local skate parks. He said they were all lame. "The Park" was about an hour north and he didn't recommend it. "The Courtyard" had closed. He claimed that everything that was worth skating was in people's backyard. Shucks.

I told him about the 'Cretins and we traded URLs (Fairmont Skate Shop if you want to check them out). I also told him that I had seen some video of a cop pushing a skater off his board and Shane was like, "That was my brother. I filmed that!" Ha! We talked about the video, the aftermath, and attitude of Charleston for a while. Shane was a cool cat!

In fact, Shane was so cool, he gave me the numbers of some guys who had a legendary wooden bowl in their backyards. I think that it was the Warehouse Bowl that Travio and I had looked at on ConcreteDisciples.com. Unfortunately, I was nursing a foot injury and I had the sweet and impressionable Lusy in tow. I appreciated the numbers but never pulled the trigger. If anyone is in Charleston and wants to try it out, I have Jerry and Hank's numbers >:)

5 Comments:

  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger Skidzilla said…

    The Ultimate NoSho move.
    Shane: You are invited by (in)Famous skaters to hit a local(-only?) spot.
    NoSho: Dude! Sounds awesome see you there!
    (And, Ultimately, NoSho no shows.)

    Way 2 go - No Show. Couldn't
    t you have given him Team Geritol's name?

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Blogger Nikoli said…

    I feel a lil' better actually. Now I believe that maybe it's not just me... he just doesn't wanna skate with ANYBODY... Welcome to the blog NoShow, fo' sho'

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger OMP said…

    Nice post though.

    Even supplied links.

    I'll support you NS.
    It's not always that easy to hook up an unknown skate situation on a family trip.

    However, You'll have no excuses come Nov. in AZ!

     
  • At 7:21 AM, Blogger NoShow said…

    No excuses, indeed! I'm so in.

    And hey, how else can I keep my moniker if I don't flex it from time to time :P

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is on IOP:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw7Jcvz30SU

    There is a longer run at the end of this video that shows the whole ramp.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvIsQLnnbUE

    Shane closed his doors and "The Park" actually rules. Its 25 minutes north of IOP. Here's some footage from last contest.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTyGcuwwi4Y

     

Post a Comment

<< Home