CRETIN: /kret'in/, /kree'tn/, n.
Congenital loser; an obnoxious person; someone who can't do anything right

CONCRETIN: /kahn'kret'in/, /kahn'kree'tn/, n.
Cretin who loves to skate concrete

Monday, June 25, 2007

Twofer... HumpDay and Sunday

Last Wednesday Night - Travio brought out his old friend, Tony, and son Jacob downtown to ride with us. Ward rolled up, as did Steve-O and Skidzilla. It was like Sunday morning, only with a TON of spectators and a few more local rippers. The park looked packed, but was mostly wall flowers and annoying moronic young pedestrian look-at-me-I'm-stupid-and-get-no-attention-at-home types.
- Travio: showing the pipe some love -


Now, I've seen Walter Cox skate before, padless, and just carving (at Mach3). Well last night, he padded up... and that meant HUGE air and super long grinds, all at Mach3. I've never seen anyone skate our park like that. Not even the pros.
- Walter: showing the pipe who's in charge -


Dane was there, putting together crazy air, grind, invert runs, and running out of 3' air bails in the 11'. CRAZY! I thanked Walter for the pipe patchwork and tried to keep up with the deep end session, but in the end, I retreated to the mini capsule. I had a pretty good mini ride, padless even! A kid asked, "Are you part of that... over 30... gang?" I laughed and was glad he didn't call it a "club." Gang sounds much gnarlier. So the Concretins are definitely gettin' noticed locally, as well as nationally (with OldManArmy recognition and a couple of mentions on SkateandAnnoy.com). All in all, a great prep for a gnar Sunday session.

SUNDAY!
Woke up to wet 'crete and green radar... "Scattered showers" my butt. It rained all morning. But, we were all hoping for the best and were up and about anyway. Immediately the session was shifted to our indoor training facility, Casa de MoFo. Phone calls were made and we were still skating by 9:00AM. I was hoping for a gnar session downtown, I was bummed that the 'crete got rained out, but a dissappointing session? No Way! One of the best sessions on the mini ever! We actually got video footage this time too! Thanks for trading off cam duties everyone! That makes a big difference and everyone gets some footy.

Let the rippage recap begin... I was hittin' nollie disasters really well, and winding up the 270 axle stalls with ease. 6 in a row at one point, though I got a bit dizzy. And I even have photo proof that I looked at the coping during a fs grind. This is my new favorite pic of myself skating.
- Nik: Not a look of confidence, but a fs make nonetheless.


Travio brought Tony along again. Trav was hitting 50-50s very smooth and worked out the fs grind. Tony surpised us all with quick touch pivots and a couple 50-50s and he's just getting back to skating.

Our Lexington bro OMP wasted no time pushing up on the wall and hitting bs air to stall. Grinds are never a prob for OMP.
- OMP: Slashin' fo' sho'. -


Skidzilla rolled up a bit late, and proceeded to rip, even though he was feelin' rough. 5-0s, pivots, and FS pivot to tail ON CAMERA even! FINALLY! :) I imagine only his smile could have been bigger had he been 100% healthy.

Once again, it was the Gimpy and MoFo show for real. We always expect MoFo to rip his own ramp, but it still amazes me every time. Let's see... 270 axle stall, SWITCH even, yea, that's gnar. Kickflip to axle stall, BAM, perfect, no sketch. And of course tons of high speed 5-0 grinds, tailslides and cess slide variations on the TajMaWall. Gimpy stepped up with fresh stoke from KONA (see below) and busted out the manual, fakie 50-50s, rail slides galore, and fakie smiths! If he had started blunt attempts earlier, he would have had those too... punk.
- Gimpy makes a fs on a mini look gnarly. -


Rain schmain. What a great session with the bros. You don't need 'crete if you got Gnar. We got Gnar. Indeed.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dudes...42 and stoked on skating...my son and his friends got me skating last year...he quit skating and now it's like pulling teeth to get him to go with me. I don't get to skate much at the park...I long board and bomb hills in da hood (new albany with my dog) for the most part...pretty much a beginner compared to you guys...I ran into steve-o and skidzilla (I am Joe) at LSP last week hence this post...you guys got a schedule? would like to skate at the park, but don't feel it wise to sk8 alone...rcktman@insightbb.com Thanks Heaps! -rocketman

     

Post a Comment

<< Home