CRETIN: /kret'in/, /kree'tn/, n.
Congenital loser; an obnoxious person; someone who can't do anything right

CONCRETIN: /kahn'kret'in/, /kahn'kree'tn/, n.
Cretin who loves to skate concrete

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Crossing the line...

If you had a pro skaters phone number, would you call it? LIAR! Yes you would and you know it! So don't give me hell.

I had Tony Magnusson's cell number from the first DewTour. I met him at the event and gave him directions, and my number so we could skate the park together. But he called (yes, he called ME) in the morning and said they partied a lil' too hard and besides, it had been raining. So yes, I kept the number. SOME day I might go out to Cali and want to skate with some pros.

So last night I'm watching the live webcast of the ProTec Pool Party, which was absolutely INSANE! I was watching with several of the OldManArmy crew and we were all chatting online as we watched. One of those weird techno social events that probably seems much weirder to me, considering I'm over the age of 12.

Chris Miller destroyed the Van's Combi Pool as expected in the Master's division. Why exactly he's not skating with the pros like Omar, I'm not really sure. Do you know what a McEgg is? (No, it's not a breakfast sandwich. Well, it might be, but that's not what I'm talking about.) Or how about a Kickflip Madonna? Bluntslide through the corner? Swtich Roll-in? Kickflip Gaytwist? 5-0 through the corner, to fakie? Look 'em up.

But anyway, at one point, the web announcer talks to Tony Mag about the crazy skating goin' down. The wheels start turnin' in my head, and yes, I crossed that line. I knew he was at the contest, and I called him. And I'd do it again too! I couldn't believe he actually ANSWERED! I did apologize for calling, as he didn't know me from Adam, but we talked briefly about the contest, and he was totally cool. He was stoked that we were all watchin' online, "Right Now!? That's Killer!" So I asked that he give a shout out to the OMA crew if he happened to talk to the guy again. "I'll go find him right now man!"

So I told the guys I called him, but didn't mention the shout out. Because I wasn't really sure it would happen. (They probably thought I was full of shit anyway.) But not 2 minutes later, (in the middle of Bucky Lasek's run) Tony Mag comes on the air and tells the story of a phone call he just got from a bunch of guys watchin' online and says what's up to the Old Man Army! Live for the world to hear! (Or at least however many skaters were watchin' at the time.)

Now to you, that probably means not a damn thing, 'Cause do you even know who Tony Mag is?? But to me, that's a stoke moment in my skate life. (yet another) To you, that probably just shows (yet again) that I'm a borderline skater stalker. But dammit, it's CREATIVE FAN APPRECIATION! So, sorry Tony Magnusson. But in my defense, it's your own fault for being so cool and rippin' so hard when I was young and impressionable, and then again when I met you almost 20 years later...

Props to ProTec and Van's for a killer contest. And to 411VideoMagazine for a great webcast of the event.

Man, I am long winded when I'm stoked. Sorry. But if only my friends could skate better. Then THEY could be my Pro skater friends and I wouldn't have to seek out old pros. (It's NOT stalking!) Or maybe I should just learn to skate better, so I wouldn't have to be friends with better skaters in order to feel better about myself. Nah, that can't be it.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:23 PM, Blogger gimpinainteasy said…

    Finally got the balls to use that number huh? Last year while we were sitting watching the Dew Tour Nick tells me he has T Mag's nbr who happens to be sitting down below us about 15 to 20 feet away. I say this is a perfect opportunity to put it to use so we can prank him and watch the whole thing and I can film it and it will be a good laugh and all. Nick is a bitch and is scared that somehow we will get kicked out of there or something totally ridiculous like that. Sheeesh. I really am amazed that you actually called him. I guess you figured he couldn't get the cops to your house and kick u offline or arrest you for stalking since u were so far away and all. No, seriously that is really cool. What a cool guy he is for doing that (actually he was probably scared and figured if he didn't obey your request you would never leave him alone or he could end up like that grunting tennis player that got knifed or maybe something even worse).

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Blogger NoShow said…

    First thing on Tony's ToDo list today...

    * Change Phone Number

    :P

     
  • At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's a good story. I almost tuned into that, but didn't. Very cool of Tony to follow through like that, as he obviously knew some people would get a kick out of it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home