CRETIN: /kret'in/, /kree'tn/, n.
Congenital loser; an obnoxious person; someone who can't do anything right

CONCRETIN: /kahn'kret'in/, /kahn'kree'tn/, n.
Cretin who loves to skate concrete

Thursday, July 31, 2008

I can't quit you.

Skateboarding. I had opportunities to quit. I had (have) reasons to quit. I have real responsibilities these days. I have a mortgage. I have a wife. I have a kid! But all of that just isn't enough to keep me away.

I have more and more venues every day to go play all around the world, but more importantly in my hometown, in my own neighborhood. I have old friends and new friends that just want to hang out and skate with me, and give me hell when I make the decision to NOT skate and instead focus some attention towards aforementioned responsibilities. I am blessed.

Nothing else makes me feel the way skating does. Skating, talking about it, reading about it, writing about it, and sitting on the couch watching it. If time is all you consider, I am a veteran. I've been doing it for most of my life. Longer than most people doing it have been alive. But I am insignificant to the industry, but not to my friends. I am a part of the core of skating. Not the "hardcore," I don't kid myself. I tend to wuss out, and I skate fully padded, even on ramps I should be 100% comfortable on. I'm not a gnarly man but I know what gnar is.

I've been enjoying weekly sessions on Radley's ramp. Gettin' my gnar on the best I can, but getting more stoked on everyone else's gnar. So I was already extra hyped on skating lately. But I was watching the X-Games MegaRamp competition tonight, and skating again inspired me. Not to skate, not to live better, not to give more of shit about anything. It was simply awe inspiring.

I know who Danny Way is. I knew who Danny Way was when he was shorter, skinnier, and riding for a company called Powell Peralta. I was watching when he helped make a company called H-Street a powerhouse in the industry. I think he was 13 or 14. And that was 20 years ago.

On a monstrosity that rises 60' off the floor of the Staples Center in LA, rolling down and launching over a 70' gap, and into a landing ramp that leads to a 30' quarter pipe, I watched footage of Danny getting worked in practice. Beat up and slammed into the ramp by gravity over and over. The MegaRamp. Birthed from his own mind. This thing has tried to destroy its creator time and time again over the years. I watched him clip the coping with both shins after under rotating a 20' McTwist, and getting flipped and body slammed 20' further onto his back, and slide to the flat in obvious pain. The man got up, limped off the ramp, refused the wheelchair ride to the medic room, is told not to skate any further, tells the doc he'll have to fight him to keep him from it, and declares "I'm skating EVERY run."

4 more runs, insane pain, and insane skating. And he has an X-Games medal. And that's just Danny.

If you didn't watch it and if you don't skate, I've just bored the shit out of you with this recount. And you don't get it. You're not inspired. You don't comprehend how difficult a 360 air to fakie really is, particularly 50' from the floor. You don't get why Bob Burnquist was in tears as Danny congratulated HIM for winning the GOLD medal, with Danny taking home the silver. You don't understand that emotion. That determination. Relying on no one but yourself. Feeding off the stoke of others, but your performance is up to you and you alone. If you skate, you know. But I'm sad for you if you didn't witness it. I'm sad that so many pedestrians saw it, but just can't possibly understand. I wish they could.

Skateboarding, I love you. And I'm not sorry. Hey pedestrians, your sport sucks. Don't believe me? Just hush and watch.

8 Comments:

  • At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I understand...

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger jer said…

    i understand too....

    baby i've missed you so much, i can't wait til we can roll together again.

    (just to clarify i mean that mistress known as skateboarding, not any of you dudes, just want to make that clear)

     
  • At 6:30 PM, Blogger Nikoli said…

    Aw, it's ok. We miss you too Jer. ;) See you in November.

     
  • At 12:26 PM, Blogger mc said…

    Yeah, but what does it inspire you to do? How hard will you hit it next time you skate? Do you have goals?

    A good read. I'm not sure Bob has a switch. He does loops switch for pete's sake. I can't 360 air but if you go up switch you're coming down regular. I wonder why Danny didn't win.

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger Nikoli said…

    Hey thanks MC! Yea, Bob is rather ambi-deck-strous, no doubt. I believe he won because he rolled in switch, bs 180, and then did the 360 indy. He was going reg at the qtr, so he landed that bi#ch fakie! Makes my neck hairs stand up to do a rock fakie in the 6'.

    As for applying the inspiration, I guess it's just one more thing that keeps me from quitting. I have 2 goals. To have fun, and not get hurt. As long as both of those things happen, it's a good session.

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger Kvon said…

    Great goals Nikoli ( in comments). Great read (post) and a great perspective. I too was inspired and near tears watching Danny. I too pondered how watching this related to me and my skating. It's unlikely that I will ever drop in on a mega ramp but seeing Danny's personal struggle and watching him overcome was inspiring. A person doesn't do that for a medal, Danny pressed on because it's who he is. That is cool, regardless of who sponsored the event. Respect to the riders. And thanks to everyone who worked hard to put on the event. (even if the sponsors look like greedy circus clowns) :)

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger Gosh said…

    Proud of you too Nik. You absolutely have the same questions that probably most of us (over 30 years old, skaters for at least 20 years)have. I also thought to stop skating some times, but, never quit, because of my friends, because I like to go fast, improving myself, competing, the freedom of doing what I want, and much more that skateboarding has given me.

    Danny Way has always been my favorite pro, (besides Ray Barbee, Mike Vallely, Mark Gonzales, Jaime Thomas, Lance Mountain, Jason Jesse) because of his enthusiasm, his skills, his "cojones", and much more. He has always been different than Hawk or Hosoi. He invented the high jump, he also jump from helicopters and always was the kid versus the older pros. Long life to Danny Way.

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger Gosh said…

    Proud of you too Nik. You absolutely have the same questions that probably most of us (over 30 years old, skaters for at least 20 years)have. I also thought to stop skating some times, but, never quit, because of my friends, because I like to go fast, improving myself, competing, the freedom of doing what I want, and much more that skateboarding has given me.

    Danny Way has always been my favorite pro, (besides Ray Barbee, Mike Vallely, Mark Gonzales, Jaime Thomas, Lance Mountain, Jason Jesse) because of his enthusiasm, his skills, his "cojones", and much more. He has always been different than Hawk or Hosoi. He invented the high jump, he also jump from helicopters and always was the kid versus the older pros. Long life to Danny Way.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home