CRETIN: /kret'in/, /kree'tn/, n.
Congenital loser; an obnoxious person; someone who can't do anything right

CONCRETIN: /kahn'kret'in/, /kahn'kree'tn/, n.
Cretin who loves to skate concrete

Friday, October 13, 2006

Skate in the Mall? (Extended Friday the 13th Dance Mix)

Sorry I couldn't resist some extra stuff (I couldn't get the photos off my phone while on the road, so I had to add today.)

Woodward Skateparks bought the old Vans park in Discovery Mills Mall. I made to 40+ mile trek out of Atlanta last nite to check it out. Awesome vert and a killer mini with spine. It was Old School Nite, so, I got in for $5 (instead of the usual $8).



I had a coworker in tow who lives near-by the mall and is regaining the skatebug of his youth. He was sporting a brand new set of whells, and I kept giving him shit about how slick they were gonna be in all that dust. Ha! I jinxed myself. My wheels were slicker than a waxed weasel. I couldn't keep the board under me. I wasn't the only one - everyone was complaining. I think the cold snap sapped all the moisture out of the air and left behind all the slick, death-dealing goodness of rampant warehouse dust. I exited unscathed, but my confidence was definitely shaken.



I wasn't sure they were going to let either one of us skate cuz of this sign, but I guess it only applies to parents watching. Or, maybe they just make exceptions on Old School Nite (see Little Tony's comment).

The Mall added a huge Grom factor. Oddly, none of them skated the mini or the vert. So, I was well out of their way and didn't have to deal with 'em too much. It was fun but maybe not worth $8 (the full price) - especially given the slam factor with all the dust.

Bonus: For reasons unknown, there was a huge group of Asian kids outside the skate area Break Dancing. Bad 80's music and everything. It was more surreal than a David Lynch production.

There was a time when I could land a frontside air. BruthaSteve even has it documented on video. Well, now I cain't. Here's how I feel about it.



When I grow up I wanna have my picture taken with a happy face! (This will happen when I can land some air - I promise)

5 Comments:

  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Nikoli said…

    "Old school nite" = skater speak for senior citizen discount. You suck Dave.

     
  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger OMP said…

    I disagree Lil Tony.
    I think "Old School Night" is a great idea!

    Uh, could that be because I'm getting old? Damn straight! Well that and the fact that all the groms skate slow and are usually in the way of our high speed carving:-)

    So...You rock Skidster! And, don't worry, those fronsides will come back just fine.

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger Nikoli said…

    I'm not knockin' "old school" discounts! Not because I'm old, but because I'm "financially challenged."

    And Skid sucks 'cause he gets to hit all these parks, all travel expenses PAID. WhattaPunk.

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger gimpinainteasy said…

    Another notch for Skidz. I know it's been said before but your phone takes some mighty fine pictures.

     
  • At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I skated that monster Vans ramp one weekend, also the ESPN Skatepark in another ATL mall. It might have been the ESPN park that had nets on either side of the ramp. I was skating and this little girl was standing by the vert ramp and I hit a serious slippery spot and shot my board up over the net and down onto the little girl, who of course went berserk so that her dad ran over with an I'm going to kill you look on his face. But it was an accident, and I was sorry, so he didn't. Anyway that net gave that little girl (and her daddy) a false sense of security, I think.

    Nice of Woodward to keep this place open, anyway.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home