CRETIN: /kret'in/, /kree'tn/, n.
Congenital loser; an obnoxious person; someone who can't do anything right

CONCRETIN: /kahn'kret'in/, /kahn'kree'tn/, n.
Cretin who loves to skate concrete

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Our lil' park...


'Twas a beautiful Saturday morning... the park had quite a few more riders than most mornings, but not too bad. Brett was rolling and Adam even brought his wife along, perhaps to give her a firsthand look so she can tell her friends, "No really, he goes skateboarding at the skatepark," when they ask what's he REALLY up to. :)

I was ready to rip with the excitement of new wood, fresh grip, and brand new matching urethane. An original Powell Peralta Frankie Hill "ear" model, shoed with perdy blue re-issue G-bones. I was sooo stoked when I put it together last night. I just knew I was gonna be super hyped on my session... I FAIL!

Never before have I noticed such a difference between wheels. They are big, and easily roll onto and off of the coping, and they are stealthy quiet, but they are also S L O W ! I was bummed after only 2 runs, knowing that my ride was not going to get any better, no matter how cool and vintage my new deck looked. I do feel pretty good about the deck itself, but I need a better session to be sure. Fresh grip tape always helps because your board REALLY sticks to your feet. Anyone wanna buy some wheels? Only one session on them, graphics aren't even scratched... *sigh* Will trade for fresh Rainskates.

Though I did get a good air and a couple of grinds in the 8', lame as they were. Crappy session is better than no session.

10 Comments:

  • At 12:10 AM, Blogger Kvon said…

    WHAT??? Are not the G-bones 97a's?? Maybe I need to try the Rainskates, are they Park formula? Where do you get the Rainskates? How much for the G-bones and what color are they? :) How's that for interrogating you! ;)

     
  • At 6:58 AM, Blogger Nikoli said…

    They are labeled as 97a, but they feel much more like 92. Seriously. (I have heard that the resissues are all much softer than labeled, though my black ones seem ok.) These are blue... $30 shipped. They'd probably make a good street(though they're big-64mm) or ditch wheel. I skate neither really, AND I really shouldn't have bought them in the first place... But they look so cool! ;) If they were shoes, I'd be such a woman.

    You can get Rainskates direct via eBay or rainskates.com.

     
  • At 3:05 PM, Blogger jer said…

    i know my 95a bowl bombers felt like 92's i think any powell wheel is going to feel softer than the stated hardness, the bb's were great at first but then took a dive into sluggo land after a month or so.

    get the rainskates nik, you'll be happy with 'em, great for ice bowls.

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Blogger Nikoli said…

    I've had two sets of Rainskates and they def. rock.

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger DeadBrinley said…

    Rainskates rule!

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger Nikoli said…

    Update... switched to my old BLACK 97a G-Bones Reissues... and they're faster! WTF? Whatever. They still aren't as hard or fast as Rainskates, but they'll do just fine. I still haven't tried Powell SPFs which everyone on OMA raves about.

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger Kvon said…

    What duro Rainskate are you rollin? I have a set of white 95a Powell Bowl bombers that I love. They are a little soft but I love the stealth.

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger Nikoli said…

    I think the Rainskates I have are both 98s. (Graphic is rubbed off, and I don't remember.) They were still plenty grippy on the 'crete. I've never slid out on them without REALLY trying (or fkn up). It's also cool that they are a very small company, run/founded by a skater in Alaska. But I also dig PowellPeralta chit, I'm a big fanboy. I've also skated a set of Spitfire Bighead Softies, they were cool as well, but flat spotted a bit too easily (and I don't do tail/noseslides and such). My all time favorite wheel is Bullet 66s.

     
  • At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i think you owe MC a royalty for the effects on that photo!

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger Nikoli said…

    His were the first photos I'd ever seen with the effect...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home