CRETIN: /kret'in/, /kree'tn/, n.
Congenital loser; an obnoxious person; someone who can't do anything right

CONCRETIN: /kahn'kret'in/, /kahn'kree'tn/, n.
Cretin who loves to skate concrete

Sunday, November 01, 2009

Hey, I was ready after all!

Upon arrival in SanJose California, I notice the luggage carousel is a bag light. Fantastic. At least it wasn't my skate gear, but a semi-camping trip without a sleeping bag, no towel, and no fresh underwear or socks, wasn't exactly going to be comfortable. The KOA staff took pity on me and loaned me a sleeping bag and a pillow and I borrowed some fresh socks for day two. Thanks Mike. Eventually it all worked out - with me doing the airlines job for them - I REALLY hate lame customer service people. FK YOU SanJose SWA Baggage Claim crew! YOU SUCK! (I'm not bitter.)

But lets get on with the skating and the stoke.

This was by far the greatest all skate weekend I have ever experienced. (OBX is a very close second, like Phelps/Cavic close.) I didn't learn as much philosophically this trip as I did in Phoenix last year. But I feel I have earned an honorary PhD in skatetrip theory. I learned so many more practical things this trip.

I learned:

Don't put all your socks and underwear in one checked bag. And don't believe what anyone in baggage claim service tells you.

Don't give Zach your camera. (Gabba Gabba Hey)

Don't flip off some random dude on the street who gave your hippy homeless emo ass a beer, because he'll chase you down and take it back.

You can take your own beer into a pizzaria in downtown Santa Cruz.

If you have the chance to hit a classic skatespot, DO IT! It'll be more fun than you ever imagined.

It feels kinda cool to session with a legendary graphic artist in a pool he painted. He was smiling the whole time, even though he knows his work will soon be buried.

Lil' Tony is not the only "action figure" traveling the world with skaters. Though his name is a bit less abrasive than "Barry Woodcock."

People from England talk funny, and have a great sense of humor. And they can skeet like melon farmers.

Taco Trucks do exist.

There are Kooks who believe it is important to hang with friends. Even if that means driving for 15 hours only to sit around and watch because they're still limpin' on a healing broken leg.

If you're going to sleep in a skatepark, take ear plugs.

An effective method to dislocate your shoulder is to bail from 15 feet up in a 22 foot full pipe.

If you puke your Taco Truck dinner just right, the spatter will form a face.

Skidzilla will hang his bare ass over your head if you fall asleep at the skatepark, especially if a camera is present.

Skate pros are Dads too.

Going frontside over 16' up, 6' of which is pure vert, is some serious frkn gnar to witness.

Don't judge a park by pictures. Don't attempt to determine how/where you will skate the park by said pictures. Just wait 'til you get there, because I'll bet you're completely wrong.

The SkullBowl is gnarballs!

Surprise! I can grind on pool coping.

Watching your friends skate is often more fun than skating.

For Scorpios, letting go and letting others handle certain aspects of your travel is very difficult, but totally worth it.

If you're a dancin' banana, do not believe your googly eyes, big smile and sunny disposition will save you from becoming breakfast.

GPS saves!

For every hour of video footage you shoot, realize you're looking at least 3 hours of post. (Again, totally worth it.)

And on the flight home I learned that if your sinuses are messed up, when on final approach, your head won't actually explode, and you won't pass out from the internal pressure, no matter how bad you wish you would. (Worst flights EVER. OMG.)

And finally, there is nothing more precious than the sound of your child yelling Dattee when they see you for the first time in 3 days.

Bonus lesson: When you think they aren't paying attention, you're wrong. TheBoy was staring into my eyes with a content smile. I knew what was happening. I said calmly, "Stop stealing my soul." He replied without hesitation. "No."

It's good to be home.

Kook "Chef" shot this vid at Buena Vista. Rough as hell, at least a foot and half of vert, no coping, and an absolute blast. This pool has been buried and dug out at least 3 times. The stars aligned and it was dug out 2 weeks prior to our trip. Rumor has it, it's not filled in yet.


For nostalgia and reference, here's Cab skating it "back in the day." Wait, clarification: Here's Cab KILLING it.


My vid from Santa Cruz and "The Wave." Great park. Fast and SMOOOOTH.

Santa Cruz 2009 from Concretins on Vimeo.



Another "Classic" skate spot... Derby Park. Gimpy had enough fun for everyone here.

Derby Park, Santa Cruz, CA from Concretins on Vimeo.



I still have more to edit (LakeCunningham and my Buena Vista footage). But that oughta hold ya for a lil' while.

7 Comments:

  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger DrBill said…

    what kind of OCD blog is this. It's 'puke FORMS a face'. And where's my pipe footage?

     
  • At 3:35 PM, Blogger Nikoli said…

    HA! Spell check ain't worth shirt. Fixed it for ya puker. I'll get to the rest of the footage... eventually...

     
  • At 1:11 AM, Blogger draco5 said…

    Hey everyone just posted my new video, full length for my sponsors and wanted to share it with you all. http://www.loopd.com/members/draco5/Default.aspx

     
  • At 2:17 AM, Blogger Jeff said…

    Man, I've always wanted to skate that place.

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger Kvon said…

    NICE POST! Love it! I feel like I was there! Great coverage, story and words of wisdom!

     
  • At 1:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Concretin's Rule! It was so much fun to get to roll with you guys finally. Stoked to see you got to Shred w/Jimbo. He is one of a kind. How about that Night session footage?....

    Cheers,

    TMax

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Patti said…

    great trip recap nik! you've definitely earned a skate roadtrip doctorate, otherwise known as a Stoke Ph.D.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home